Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue

The year 2023 marks the 16th anniversary of Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue!!!

Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue is a basset hound rescue group who provides veterinary care, food, shelter and support to basset hounds needing assistance in the mid-Atlantic states. We treat these animals with care and respect. MidABHR makes decisions based on compassion and with concern for the quality of life of each individual basset hound. We place basset hounds in our care into foster homes and permanent homes with consideration to personality, behavior, and special needs. We provide continuing support to adoptive families throughout the lifetime of the dogs.

We work in direct cooperation with all local and state shelters to reduce euthanasia of basset hounds. Of the bassets we rescue and care for, approximately 60% come from these shelters. The other 40% of our bassets are surrendered by their current owners directly into MidABHR care. By taking in bassets surrendered by their owners, MidABHR helps ease the burden on our local animal shelters by preventing those bassets from ever entering the animal shelter system.

Support Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound with Amazon Smile

Our Mission

Serving our local and statewide communities, Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue provides:

  • Education to the public and prospective homes about the Basset Hound breed.
  • Shelter and care for homeless Basset Hounds.
  • Assistance, when needed, to anyone owning a Basset Hound so as to keep the dog in a good environment.
  • Placement in suitable foster and permanent homes for all dogs taken into our care.
  • Financial and emotional support, when needed, to our foster and adoptive homes using the dogs' best interest as a guide.
  • Fundraising events in order to care for all dogs taken in by our rescue.
  • Education about spaying and neutering in order to decrease pet overpopulation and random breeding.
  • Placement assistance to state and local animal shelters for Basset Hounds and mixed breeds.

BHCA Recognized Rescue
Top of Page